Thursday, January 21, 2010

Black & White Cakies


Cakie (n) pronounced: cake-ie : A light, fluffy cookie that has a consistency much like a cake, but easily eaten in one or two; like eating the top of a cupcake without the bottom.

These cakies are absolutely delicious and are one of my favorites to make, despite the time and effort that goes into icing them. I first attempted these wonderful cakies for my little brother's high school graduation party, where I actually changed the colors of the icing to maroon and orange since he would be attending Virginia Tech that coming Fall.  Being the hit that they were with my friends and family, I decided to make them again for a friend's birthday in grad school. It was during this baking adventure in grad school that my roommate and I coined the term "Cakie." It is my little brother's birthday on Saturday and since these are his favorite cookies (and I know they travel well) I decided to make a batch for him and bring the leftovers in the office for everyone else to try. 

Just as a disclaimer, although this recipe is quite simple and doesn't take much prep or baking time, the icing process does. Each cookie has to be individually iced...twice...and you might have to ice the "white" side a couple times to make the color visible. That being said, it is well worth the effort!  All the great bakers know, if you're not covered with flour and sugar by the end then you're not doing it right! :)

Now, I have to warn you... because these are so light and fluffy you might have a hard time eating just one...just ask some of the girls in my office! I think my co-workers are either going to start to love me or hate me for all the sweets I try out on them.. hopefully not the latter.

Happy Baking!

Black&White Cakies
350 degrees, bake time: 15 minutes

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter
1 3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1 cup milk

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, making sure to blend completely after each. 
Add milk and extracts. Combine flours, salt, and baking powder (I actually sift the flour for this recipe). Add flour mixture to wet ingredients. *Because of the consistency of this cakie, the completed mixture should not be runny like a cake batter, but still smooth and fluffy.

Using an ice cream scoop, drop spoonfuls of batter on buttered/greased cookie sheet. Make sure to butter or grease the cookie sheets before dropping your cookies. If you have parchment paper you can just line your cookie sheets instead of greasing. 

Once the cakies have cooled, its icing time!

White: 6 cups powdered sugar and water 
Add water slowly as you try to get the right consistency. You want to be able to easily spread the icing with a spoon or pastry brush. Split icing into two bowls (one being heat proof).

Black: Over a double boiler, mix constantly until the chocolate is melted. *Since you're working with chocolate, your black half may not be as dark as you like it. Add 1 drop of black food coloring (if you have it) to make your "black" half darker.

Using a pastry brush, paint the black icing on half of each cookie. Once the icing has had a chance to set, ice the other side with the white icing.