Thursday, February 24, 2011

Brown Butter Blueberry Crumb Cake

Mountain Man and I recently embarked on a new adventure: marriage counseling. For the next few weeks, every Sunday afternoon we meet with about 7 other couples to talk about all things marriage.

Speaking of marriage.. want to see some of those engagement photos I traded for??



we couldn't resist.. this tree was so cool!

Normally I spend my Saturday mornings baking up something delicious for breakfast, but I wanted to make sure we had something good to eat before class.

I know I just got done talking about how I wanted to use more of my cookbooks and not get sucked into the wonderful recipes found all over the blogsphere, but I just couldn't resist!

In addition to my enormous collection of cookbooks, I also have 3 folders worth of printed recipes, not to mention a bookmarked folder of recipes on my computer.

This recipe for instance was printed out by yours truly in July and only now am I just getting around to making it! It's getting ridiculous..

When I woke up, I had a huge hankering for coffee cake.. it might have had something to do with the delicious looking Blueberry Crumb Cake that Lindsey of Gingerbread Bagels (really pretty much everything she makes looks delicious) had recently made, but whatever the reason I knew something needed to be done about it.

I started looking through all my recipes and there it was: Joy the Baker's Browned Butter Fresh Blueberry Muffins- I LOVE brown butter- but because coffee cake was still on the mind I opted to pour all the batter into a baking dish. Then it dawned on me.. the crumb that Lindsey had going on?! Fabulous. The perfect addition.

 Look at that crumb! 
Thank you Lindsey for introducing me to the best crumb out there..

Brown Butter Blueberry Crumb Cake
Cake from Joy the Baker
Crumb from Lindsey at Gingerbread Bagels
Makes one 8x8 baking dish
Oven: 350 Bake time: 30 minutes

7 TBS unsalted butter
2/3 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup AP flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups fresh blueberries

Crumb
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/3 cup AP flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keeping an eye on the butter, melt and cook down until little brown bits appear in the pan- the crackling will subside and the butter will begin to brown fairly quickly. Remove from heat.
Whisk milk, egg, yolk, vanilla, until combined. Add browned butter and stir to combine.
In a medium bow, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add milk and butter mixture all at once and stir to combine.
Fold in blueberries.
Pour batter into baking dish.
Make crumb topping by mixing all ingredients together in a small bowl.
Sprinkle mixture generously over batter.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.


Happy Baking!