Thursday, September 2, 2010

Key Lime Pie Cupcakes

Today marks the day of another one of my co-workers birthdays, so of course that means cupcakes!

When I asked Heidi for ideas regarding her celebratory sweets she smiled big and let me know she really liked key lime pie...and so the brainstorming began...

Have you ever been to Key West?  

I have and it's awesome...I went a couple years ago during grad school and fell in love...
The most southern spot in the US, a small town dedicated to beach bums, Jimmy Buffet blasting from every corner, roosters running the streets, laid back living, cross dressing karaoke bars, conch fritters, margaritas galore, and beautiful sunsets.. what could be better than that?

Oh I know... Key Lime Pie.

One of the best things to come out of Key West is their Key Lime Pie. Did I mention that they even freeze it and dip the slices in dark chocolate? Yes, you heard me right.. Chocolate dipped Key Lime Pie on a stick. I'll give you a second to think about it..

While you try to wrap your head around that delicious dessert I'm going to go ahead and move on to these Key Lime Pie inspired cupcakes.
We're going to start with a graham cracker cupcake, filled with key lime pie filling and topped with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of graham crackers and lime zest...mm mmm mmmm.

Key Lime Pie Filling
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice (yes, I squeezed my own)
3 egg yolks

Preheat oven to 350. In an oven proof bowl, whisk ingredients until smooth and combined. Bake in oven for 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool before using. You could even put it in the fridge until you need it.

Whipped Cream 
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar

In a small bowl, use an electric mixer to beat ingredients until stiff peaks form. Place in refrigerator until needed.

Graham Cupcakes
Recipe found on Cupcake Project
Oven: 350 Bake time: 18-20 minutes
Makes 24 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup AP flour
1 1/2 cup crushed graham crackers (1 sleeve)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
1 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
In a large bowl beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at a time, blending completely after each addition.
Stir in vanilla.
In a separate bowl whisk flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, soda and salt.
Alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with flour.
Place an ice cream scoop full of batter in each cupcake liner.
Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean and cupcake bounces back.
Once baked, remove from pan and allow to completely cool.

When cupcakes are cool, cut a small crater in each using the coning method...aka using a knife to cut small holes in your cupcake.. like so:
Fill each hole with a spoonful of key lime pie filling.
Top each cupcake with whipped cream (using a piping bag is easiest) and a garnish of graham cracker crumbs and lime zest.

I hope you enjoy these as much as everyone in the office did. 
I couldn't help but humm Jimmy Buffet songs all day long 
and had a weird inkling to read some Hemmingway??

PS. I'm going home this weekend for the first time since Christmas (YAAAY!) I'm getting to spend countless hours with my friends and family including my father who is just getting back from Afghanistan! So I'm probably going to be a little M.I.A from the blogging world for a few.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Labor Day weekend!! 
Happy Baking!