Saturday, September 11, 2010

Oatmeal Cinnamon-Raisin Scones

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a status update, via my news feed on facebook, of a friend proclaiming that anyone in the NYC area must go to Levain Bakery, claiming she just had the best cookie she had ever eaten and offered a link.

The best cookie she's ever eaten!? Of course I had to check this out..

Levain Bakery in NYC is supposed to have some of the best cookies known to man.. unfortunately I've never personally tried one, but if they're anything like the scones I made this morning then I don't doubt it!

As I browsed their website I came across a recipe for their Oatmeal Raisin Scones. I've had the page bookmarked for a while now and as I scoured my recipes for a good weekend morning scone this one just screamed "Pick me! Pick me!"

Now, I am no stranger to scones.. in fact I have a slight obsession with them..just take a look at my Sweet Potato Scones, Blackberry Scones, Maple and Bacon Scones, Carrot Cake Scones, Asiago & Rosemary Scones and whenever I'm at a bakery it's my go-to breakfast pastry. All that being said, I think these are hands down the best scones I have ever made/had.

I made a few tweaks here and there but the texture and flavor are perfect. I also halved the recipe and still got 6-8 good sized scones. For the original recipe check it out here.

I could seriously eat the whole batch...

Oatmeal Cinnamon-Raisin Scones
adapted from Levain Bakery
Oven: 350 Bake time: 20 minutes

1 cup AP flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/4 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup plus 2 TBS white sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS flax meal*optional
6 oz butter, cold and diced small (about 1 1/2 sticks)
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 cup cinnamon chips*optional
1/2 cup buttermilk *plus about 2 TBS for brushing

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper
Combine all ingredients except for buttermilk until sandy consistency is reached. Do not over mix!
Pour in buttermilk and continue to mix until just combined. If dough doesn't seem to be sticking together add more buttermilk, a little at a time.
Turn out dough on lightly floured surface (if dough is sticky sprinkle flour on top of dough as well). Form mixture into flat disc about a 3/4-1 inch thick.
Cut scone into triangles like you would a pie or pizza or use a round cookie cutter.
Place scones on baking sheet and brush each lightly using 2 TBS buttermilk.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom.


Have a great weekend!
Happy Baking!

I'd also like to let you all know that I'll be participating in the Foodbuzz Project Food Blog and would greatly appreciate your support. A little background on what it is all about: Foodbuzz is sponsoring a contest for the next Food Blog Star and a shot at $10,000- a series of culinary blogging challenges have been created and as a contestant you must create a post following the rules of each challenge. Come judgement day a series of judges will critique each post to see if you have what it takes to be the next star.. in addition to the judges, support from fellow bloggers and admirers is considered as well, which means I'd love your help when the time comes :) So be on the lookout for the first challenge next week!!