Sunday, March 28, 2010

Sweet Potato Scones


This morning I woke up craving something good... Sunday's are normally my pancake day, but today I wanted something different. Ever since St. Patty's Day and watching Alice in Wonderland I've been craving scones (pronounced scon by the silly brits) and so.. this morning's post was created.

That's right.. get your serving of veggies for breakfast with these scrumptious Sweet Potato Scones. I even tried to make them pretty healthy (I'm trying, I'm trying) The way I see it, breakfast should be a nutritious part of your day so why not at least attempt to make breakfast baked goods a little better for you by sneaking in some healthy ingredients? Happy Andrea!?

Anyways, these bad boys are chock full of whole wheat flour, pureed sweet potatoes and agave nectar instead of sugar. However, there are still some yummy ingredients (yummy= not so good for you) because a scone just wouldn't be a scone without at least a little butter and a glaze is necessary to keep your scones good and moist for more than 2 days.
This recipe makes 4 large scones or 8 mini scones because I didn't want a dozen scones when I was baking just for myself (1 month till MM gets here!!).

Sweet Potato Scones
A swEEts original
Oven: 425 Bake Time: 15-17 minutes
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup AP flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/4 cup agave nectar
1 sweet potato (mashed)
1/2 TBS cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 TBS maple syrup
2 TBS milk for brushing
1 TBS brown sugar for sprinkling

Glaze: 1 TBS butter, 2 TBS brown sugar, 2 TBS maple syrup

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Peel sweet potato and cut into small chunks. Place in small microwave-safe bowl and heat for about 5 1/2 minutes (I used the potato button).
While waiting for your potato get your flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and butter in the food processor and pulse until just combined then move mixture into large mixing bowl.
Once your potato is heated and soft, place in food processor adding agave nectar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and maple syrup- puree until smooth.
Using a paddle attachment, add egg and potato mixture to flour mixture and mix until just combined. Your mixture should be smooth but firm- if it is too sticky add a little more flour.
Turn out mixture to a floured surface and knead dough for a few minutes, incorporating more flour if it is still too sticky. Flatten dough into a circle that is about 1 inch thick and cut into triangles (4 large or 8 small).
Transfer scones to a baking pan (I used a baking stone) brush with milk and sprinkle with brown sugar.
Bake for 15-17 minutes.

While scones are baking in small bowl combine butter, brown sugar and syrup for glaze. Place in microwave for about 1 minute.

Once scones are out of the oven, using a pastry brush, brush each with glaze mixture.

Enjoy with your morning cup of coffee. :)

Happy baking!!



'Healthier' options:
-You could always use just whole wheat flour although I think that makes for very dense and chewy baked goods which is why I used a combination of flours.
-You don't have to brush each scone with the glaze, (although I HIGHLY suggest you do) but like I mentioned before it will help keep the scones fresh for about 4 days if kept in an airtight container and also lends to a yummy sweetened crust.