Sunday, March 21, 2010

Guinness & Bailey's Swirl Brownies

 
Well, well, well... Guinness and Bailey's meet again in these delicious gooey brownies! Although I already had dessert taken care of with the birthday cake I made for Darren, I wasn't satisfied with just one option for my St. Patty's Day celebration dinner. While at work Friday afternoon I started thinking about all the Guinness in my fridge, the bottle of Bailey's in my liquor cabinet, and the left over cream cheese I had from the Cream Cheese Icing from Darren's Red Velvet Cake and it came to me.. Guinness and Bailey's Swirl Brownies.  Thankfully I got out of work a few hours early, rushed home and through these bad boys together right after making the Irish Soda Bread.

These brownies came out perfectly gooey with the subtle hint of Guinness, just like the cake I made a few months back. Although the Guinness Cake is equally delicious, these brownies were the perfect bite size and the Bailey's cream cheese swirl added a wonderful flavor combination to the very rich stout brownie.

Guinness Brownies
Oven: 350 degrees Bake time: 30-35 minutes

1 cup Guinness
1 stick butter
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder

Bailey's Cream Cheese
4 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
1/4 cup milk
2 TBS Bailey's
1 TBS flour
1 cup powdered sugar

Brownies:
Simmer beer and butter. Once butter has melted add cocoa and mix until smooth. Remove from heat.
Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Beat eggs and add to beer mixture.
Add flour mixture to wet mixture.
Pour into prepared pan.

Swirl:
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, milk, Bailey's, flour and sugar until smooth.
Spoon mixture in horizontal lives over brownie batter.
Use a knife and swirl mixture into batter.
Transfer pan to oven bake for 30 minutes.

Let brownies completely cool before cutting into. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.

Happy Baking!