Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cherry & Chili Chocolate Cookies

I know what you're thinking... cherry, chili and chocolate? One of those things doesn't belong, right? Chili powder isn't supposed to be in baked goods!? Well, you're wrong and this cookie will prove it to you!  

If there is always one thing I can expect in my Christmas stocking its chocolate. But this year my mom didn't just get me the normal Lindt Dark Chocolate Truffles, instead I was introduced to Lindt Creations: Cherry & Chili. I went back and forth about what to expect.. was it going to be weird? a spicy chocolate? It just doesn't make sense.. but then, one bite later, I was sold. The hint of chili combined with the sweet cherry filling was a perfect ending to a wonderful piece of chocolate. 

I knew I wanted to use this combination in a cookie. Then, the other day it came to me as I eyed the jar of cherry jam I had left over from the Lemon Whoopie Pie filling I made for Ashley a few weeks ago. I also just happened to have some of the chocolate in my pantry. So the adventure began :)

Cherry and Chili Chocolate Cookies
A swEEts Original
Oven: 350 degrees Bake Time: 12 minutes
Yields about 24 cookies

1 stick softened butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg
1/4 cocoa powder
1/4 tsp cayenne chili pepper powder
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda 
1 1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup cherry jam
6 pieces of Lindt Creations: Cherry & Chili, chopped*

In a small bowl whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
If using a standing mixer use a paddle attachment and beat butter, sugar, and egg.
Mix in cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, and vanilla extract.
Add flour mixture and mix until combined.
Roll about a tablespoon (basically one spoonful) of dough into a ball. Place balls on parchment paper lined baking sheets.
Once dough has been placed on the baking sheets, poke a hole into the ball until you just about hit the baking sheet- I used the end of a rounded knife handle.
Fill each hole with cherry jam.

Pop your jam filled cookies to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Transfer the baked cookies to a cooling rack.

In a double boiler, melt the chopped chocolate mixing constantly until smooth. *If you can't find the Lindt Creations: Cherry & Chili, you could always melt a dark or semi-sweet chocolate of your choice. To get the cherry and chili flavor, once the chocolate is melted add a spoon full of cherry jam and a pinch of chili powder.

Drizzle the melted chocolate over each cookie and leave on the cooling rack for chocolate to cool.


If you can't wait for the chocolate to cool, I won't judge.. I didn't :)

Just another adventure...Happy Baking!