Monday, March 1, 2010

Cookies 'n' Cream Cake


In trying to figure out a new cake for my class last Friday, I decided to try my go at a Cookies 'n' Cream Cake. This delicious 4 layer chocolate cake complete with cookie crumbles is layered with an Oreo Cream Filling and frosted with my very own Vanilla Buttercream. I must admit, I cheated a little again with this cake.. Since my class is on Friday night right after work, I decided to make this cake Thursday morning before work so it was so much easier to bake a cake with a cake mix starter. If you checked out the last cake I did for class, this is the same basic recipe I used for the Yellow Almond Sour Cream Cake, but this time I used a chocolate cake mix and added in some crushed Oreos. Not only is this recipe quick and easy, but it comes out perfect every time! The sour cream makes it a super moist cake and it keeps well too.

Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Oven: 350 Bake time: 25-30 minutes
Adapted from side of box
-
1 box Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake 
4 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup crushed Oreos *if you don't add the oreos you have a perfect semi-homemade chocolate cake!
-
Grease and flour two 8-inch round pans.
Mix eggs, sour cream, oil and sugar in large bowl. Once combined, alternate adding cake mix and water. Mix in crushed Oreos. Pour into cake pans and bake.
Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before taking cakes out of pans to further cool.



Whenever I want to create extra layers in a cake I always wrap my initial cooled cake layers with saran wrap and place in the fridge for a few hours. Colder cakes are easier to work with and usually lead to a more level split. It is also a lot easier to level and slice layers into a cake if you have a cake leveler (Wilton makes a great one and can be easily purchased at places like Hobby Lobby or Michael's). But if you don't have a cake leveler than you can easily use a long serrated knife. 

SO after I let my cakes chill a bit in the fridge I took them out and placed them on a flat surface to start my leveling and slicing. I always level the tops of my cake, because a level top is always easier to frost. After leveling the top and removing the excess, I estimated the middle of the layer and used the knife to split the layer into two. This was done to both layers.. so when all is said and done you have 4 layers of cake.

Now it's time to make the Oreo Cream Filling.

Oreo Cream Filling
1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1 1/2 cups chilled whipping cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 crushed Oreos
-
Place 2 TBS cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle gelatin over; let stand for 10 minutes to soften. Bring 1/2 cup of cream to boil in small sauce pan. Pour over gelatin and stir until dissolved. Place in refrigerator just until cold, whisking frequently, for 5 minutes. Using an electric mixer, beat remaining cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract until peaks form. Add gelatin mixture to whipped cream and whip again until peaks form. Mix in crushed Oreos.


The space around the edge should be piped with the Vanilla Buttercream. Whenever you are filling a cake with something different than the frosting you should always do this. By doing so, you eliminate having to deal with filling spilling out the sides of your cake, making it difficult to get a smooth frosting.

Top with the second cake. Fill this layer with Vanilla Buttercream. Top with third layer, filling with the Oreo Cream again with the same technique as layer one. So just incase I lost you there.. in the end you'll have: cake, Oreo Cream Filing, cake, Vanilla Buttercream, cake, Oreo Cream Filling, cake. Top with layer four and frost away!

Vanilla Buttercream 
1 cup Crisco
1/2 tsp butter flavor (optional)
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 TBS water
Cream crisco. Beat in powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and butter flavor. Add water until frosting consistency is reached.



The Adventures of Cake Decorating Class #4
Since this was for my class of course the finished product was not the clean white cake pictured on the top (taken before I went to class). This past week was actually the last class in Lesson 1, where we learned how to make buttercream roses. If you've ever watched a decorator make a rose, don't be fooled... it is not as easy to do the first time around! ha I think my classmates and I did a pretty good job still, considering this was only the second time we had made buttercream roses!  Next week we're starting on Lesson 2, so stayed tuned for my cake decorating adventures! :)
  


                                                         Our wonderfully decorated cakes.