Thursday, April 1, 2010

Mary Beth's Cuatro Chocolate Brownies


I'm sure you've gathered by now that I love baking for the amazing people in my life and when you ever-so-slightly even hint that you've been craving something sweet all you really need to do is ask, because more than likely I'll say yes and you can look start looking forward to a special package in the mail 'From the Kitchen of the Traveling Sweets.' Let's be honest, I look for any excuse to get in the kitchen and bake something good...and if it's going to make someone else happy that makes it even better!
This is exactly what my wonderful little Mary Beth did... after posting a swEEt via facebook one afternoon, I got a message from MB letting me know that she had been craving something chocolate-ly (hint hint, wink wink). So of course I bit...my brain started going a mile a minute... something chocolate? too easy. would it be cookies? cake? hmmmm.... the possibilities were endless! Then I realized [duh] what better way to satisfy a chocolate craving then with some chock-full of chocolate brownies?!

And so it was set: Mary Beth would be receiving not just triple chocolate brownies but Cuatro Chocolate Brownies (I wanted to mix it up a little so I went with spanish). What makes these 'Cuatro' you ask? Of course you've got the cocoa(1) in the actual brownie batter, but no brownie for MB would be complete without the addition of white chocolate chips (2), semi-sweet chocolate chips(3) AND chocolate syrup (4).

She said she was craving chocolate... :)

This recipe is really easy to cut in half if you want to make a smaller batch of brownies. It's actually what I did since I was sending them and didn't have a big box.

Cuatro Chocolate Brownies
Oven: 350 Bake time: 30 minutes
Fills a 7x11 pan

3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks) melted
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
4 tbs brewed coffee
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate syrup
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Melt butter in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
In small bowl whisk flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder till combined.
In large bowl beat sugar, melted butter and eggs.
Mix in vanilla, coffee and chocolate syrup.
Slowly add in flour/cocoa mixture and mix until smooth.
Fold in chocolate and white chocolate chips.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Transfer to cooling rack and cool completely before cutting into small squares.

HAPPY BAKING!!