Sunday, April 18, 2010

Andrea's Pecan Vanilla Oatmeal Cookies

My work blocked gchat. So I have rely on quick emails back and forth to get me through the day. Last week I got an email from Andrea that went a little something like this..


Andrea:

ok...so you know that i love me some nuts...
 
the other day i found myself eating vanilla frosting & pecans (yes, i am ashamed to admit that).  it kind of had a divinity-esque quality to it.  SO, that got me thinking that you could probably make a non-chocolatey, nutty, kick-ass dessert of sorts.
 
that's all i'm giving you. 
 
i love you.

At the time this conversation was had I laughed at least a couple times out loud at my desk and I'm not ashamed to admit that. And as long as we're being honest, I 'LOL.'
Through a few more emails it was mentioned that she wanted me to incorporate nuts and she didn't mind if I didn't do something completely healthy. I knew this was said half heartedly so I still attempted to make these cookies as healthy as I could. If you haven't read any of my posts prior to this one (I highly recommend you do :)) but Andrea is often given a shout when I make something on the healthier side- she's all about eating healthy and trying to use healthy ingredients. That being said, this is also the girl that I've spent many an hour with, eating ice cream out of the carton and my go-to bowl licker (for cakes, brownies and cookies that is). 

Andrea's encounter with pecans and vanilla frosting was something I just couldn't get out of my head and guess what?! I  just happened to have a bag of vanilla chips in my cupboard. BINGO BANGO.


Andrea's Pecan-Vanilla Oatmeal Cookies 
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 15 minutes

1 cup white whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apple sauce* (just about)
1 TBS oil*
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
dash cinnamon
1 cup vanilla chips
1 cup chopped pecans

Whisk flour, oats, baking soda and salt.
In large bowl combine brown sugar, egg, vanilla, apple sauce and oil (I filled the measuring cup with almost all applesauce, but left enough room for 1 TBS oil).
Add dry mixture to wet mixture and mix until combined.
Fold in pecans and vanilla chips.
Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
Transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove and place on cooling racks.

Happy Baking!

Don't forget to check out their travels :)