Saturday, April 3, 2010

A-B-C Muffins

Apple- Brown Butter- Cinnamon

Every week I look forward to the weekend in anticipation of some new yummy baked good made fresh Saturday or Sunday morning. I'm not going to lie, baking for just one person is a little challenging and kind of depressing (he's almost here, just one more month) But don't worry, I'm not eating a whole batch of muffins by myself (not in one sitting at least) and lucky for you I have a good amount of friends who don't mind sharing in my baked adventures. I'll also let you in on a little secret...a lot of times I only make half the recipe. 

This morning I woke up craving muffins- I'd actually been thinking about them all week and let me tell you, my belly was very satisfied with the final product. I've been wanting/waiting to incorporate brown butter in a recipe for a long time now and these muffins turned out to be the perfect opportunity. After this morning I'll be looking for more opportunities to use brown butter because I think I'm in love... the nutty aroma and flavor lend a wonderful addition to these muffins... not to mention, the smell of baking apples and cinnamon are a fantastic way to start your morning. Did I mention that these are a little on the healthy side as well? Whole wheat flour and agave nectar round off these yummy little muffins.

I think these A-B-C Muffins are going to be a staple in this household..

ABC Muffins
swEEts original
Oven: 350 Bake time: 25 minutes
Yields 12 muffins

1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 TBS cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup agave nectar (white or brown sugar can be substituted)
2 TBS honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup yogurt  (I used light vanilla)
1/4 cup milk (if you don't have yogurt handy just use 3/4 cup milk)
1 egg
1-2 apples (depending on how much apple you want and how big they are) chopped

Preheat oven to 350.
Place butter in a small sauce pan on medium heat. Continuously stir while butter is melting until a light brown color is reached and nutty aroma is present. Remove pan from heat (it will continue to cook a little even after taking it off the burner) and let sit for a few minutes.
In a small bowl whisk flour, oats, salt, cinnamon and baking powder.
Once butter has cooled a bit, pour into large bowl. Stir in agave nectar, honey and vanilla extract.
In a small bowl or cup, beat egg before adding to butter mixture.
Add yogurt mixing until smooth.
Slowly add flour mixture, using milk to thin batter. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Finally, peel/core apples and chop into small pieces- I used my wonderful Kitchen Aid chopper- and fold into batter.
Spray muffin tin and fill with batter.
Bake for 25 minutes.



Enjoy with your morning cup of coffee. Happy Baking!!