Saturday, April 10, 2010

Raspberry Mocha Muffins

Chocolate. Raspberries. Coffee. YUM. 

I write you this as I sit sipping on my morning cup of coffee and the smell of chocolate baking in the oven. Saturday mornings have now been deemed Muffin Mornings. I mean, since I'm waking up at 7am (thank you body clock) I might as well start the morning off productive right!?

Even at that early in the morning chocolate sounds pretty darn good to me...let's be honest, it doesn't matter what time it is, chocolate always sounds good to me! I was actually surprised at the lack of quick bread chocolate muffin recipes I could find out there in the recipe/blog world...(for those of you who aren't familiar with the term 'quick bread' it just means there is no yeast used; the recipe relies on ingredients like baking powder or soda for leavening- think banana bread, pumpkin bread, zucchini bread, etc.) I became determined to create the perfect too easy chocolate muffin and lucky for me I enjoy a good adventure :)

And so the Raspberry Mocha Muffin was created.
Note: You could easily make these into just your run of the mill chocolate muffins- I'll let you know where the ingredient swaps can take place.

Raspberry Mocha Muffin
Oven: 400 degrees Bake Time: 20 minutes
swEEts Original
Yields 12 muffins


2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/2 cup sugar (white, brown, agave nectar)
1 tsp baking soda
2 TBS cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
2 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raspberry yogurt *swap alert-you could totally use just regular yogurt
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup hot coffee*swap alert- if coffee isn't your thing you could use hot milk or hot water
1/2 cup chocolate chips (this is not a typo)

Raspberry Filling/Topping
6 oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 handfuls of fresh raspberries

Preheat oven to 400. (I recently read that muffins should always be baked at a high temperature so they get their peaks)
In large bowl whisk flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt.
In another bowl, beat eggs. Add oil, sugar of choice, yogurt and vanilla.
Place your chocolate chips in a small bowl and pour hot coffee over, mixing until chocolate is melted and smooth.
Add wet mixture to dry mixture and mix with wooden spoon. Once combined, pour in coffee/chocolate mixture and mix until completely incorporated.
Fold in remaining chocolate chips.
Transfer spoonfuls on batter into prepared muffin pan.

Raspberry Filling/Topping: Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth.
Smash raspberries with a fork before folding into cream cheese mixture.
Place spoonful of raspberry cream cheese on top of each muffin. Use knife to swirl around and/or push into batter.  *You could also place half spoonful of chocolate batter into muffin cup, place a dollop of raspberry cream cheese and fill cup with remaining chocolate batter for a little raspberry surprise inside each muffin

Transfer muffins to oven and bake for 20 minutes.


Happy Saturday and Happy Baking!