Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares


Do you have one of those treats that you know is always going to be there during the holidays? 

One of those cookies that your mom makes sure to have made by the time you get home to visit?

That sweet that just goes perfectly with a warm cup of hot chocolate and christmas music?

To me, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares fit all above criteria.

For as long as I can remember my mom has been making these during the Christmas season. I can always be sure to find them nestled somewhere in the giant cookie tin my mom uses during the holidays, snuggled up between the raspberry squares and chocolate dipped shortbread.

I think it's amazing how something as simple as a cookie can elicit a feeling or a memory.. just another reason why I think I love baking so much. You never know when you'll be creating an edible memory for someone.

Everyone remembers that special birthday cake, the brownies they got from a girlfriend after a bad breakup or the dessert that no one could make like their grandmother.  Food can be powerful...

I honestly think about that kind of stuff when I'm baking- is this going to be the cake they remember? the cupcakes they talk about years down the road? "You know, no one could make a chocolate cake like Evan.." 

I sure hope so.

What can I say, the holidays make me sappy.

But seriously, I look forward to these squares every year... and who knows, maybe they'll create a new holiday memory for you.


Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares
Oven: 350 Bake time: 5 minutes 
Makes a 7x11 pan

1 cup peanut butter 
8 oz graham crackers, crushed (about 2 sleeves crushed)
1 cup butter, melted 
4 cup powdered sugar
1 12oz bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl mix crushed graham crackers, melted butter, powdered sugar and peanut butter until combined. 
Press mixture into pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top. 
Bake in oven for 5 minutes.  
Using a spatula, spread melted chocolate chips evenly.  
Place in refrigerate for about 10 minutes so chocolate can harden.
Once cooled, warm a knife under hot water, pat dry and cut into small squares.


Note: If you leave it in the fridge too long your chocolate might separate from the peanut butter part when you cut them into squares. 



Happy Baking!