Sunday, August 15, 2010

Good Morning Muffins


I realized I hadn't made muffins for breakfast in a good while so I knew it was time... And what a perfect way to spend the morning after a night full of karaoke (MM and our friend Dan sang 'A Whole New World'- yes, the Disney song- hilarious)

I honestly look forward to the weekend not just for the enjoyment of getting to spend it with my Mountain Man, getting to sleep in, and pool it up, but to bake... especially in the morning.

Since my body hates me and thinks its funny to still wake me up before 8am on the weekends, I usually use this as prime time to get going in the kitchen for breakfast baked goods.

I recently bought a package of flax seed meal (super health food and egg substitute.. who knew?!) and noticed a recipe on the back for muffins...obviously this meant that I had to give them a go with a few minor alterations. I also halved the recipe since it was just me and MM, but still ended up with about 7 regular sized and two large muffins, even though the original recipe said it only yielded 15 (maybe they meant large muffins?). I'll write up the original, but also put the half version in parentheses.

A little bit on the healthier side, these muffins are sure to get any morning started right.

Good Morning Muffins
Recipe adapted from Bob's Red Mill "Bran Flax Muffins"
Yields about 15 muffins (or 10)
Oven: 375 Bake Time: 20 minutes

1 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour (3/4 cup)
3/4 cup crushed bran flakes or oat bran (1/4 cup + 2 TBS)
3/4 cup flax seed meal (1/4 cup + 2 TBS)
1/2 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup honey (1/4 cup)
2 tsp baking soda (1tsp)
1 tsp baking powder (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp salt (1/4 tsp)
2 tsp cinnamon (1 tsp)
2 apple, peeled and shredded (1 apple)
1 1/2 cup carrots, shredded (3/4 cup)
1/2 cup raisins (1/4 cup)
2 eggs, beaten (1 egg)
3/4 cup buttermilk (1/4 cup + 2 TBS)
1 tsp vanilla

Topping* optional
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup oats
2 TBS flour
3 TBS chilled butter

Add sugar, oats and flour to a small bowl and mix. Cut butter into small cubes and add to sugar mixture. Using two knives or a fork, cut in butter until distributed and incorporated into dry ingredients. (you're looking for a crumby looking mixture)

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with cooking spray and set aside.
Combine all dry ingredients.
Shred apple and carrots (I used a cheese grater for the apple and food processor for carrots).
Add apple and carrots to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
Pour honey into mixture.
In a small bowl beat egg, milk and vanilla.
Pour egg/milk mixture into dry-carrot/apple mixture and mix until combined- you'll have a pretty chunky batter.
Fold in raisins.
Spoon batter into muffin tins, filling about 2/3 way up.
Sprinkle with topping *optional.
Transfer pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Let cool in pan for about 10-15 minutes before removing for consumption.


Happy Baking!!

What did you have for breakfast this weekend??