Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake with Biscoff Cookie Crust

A few weeks ago I was contacted by the lovely people at Lotus Bakeries (they’re the ones responsible for the delicious little cookie we have all grown to love whenever flying Delta Airlines)

I absolutely love Biscoff cookies- whenever I fly Delta I always ask the flight attendant for extra to take home with me.. so you can imagine my excitement when I received an email followed by this package...


 Lotus Bakeries was way too generous- not only did I get a whole box of Biscoff cookies to enjoy, but now I have some little individual packages to hand out to some lucky trick or treaters! Did I mention they're low in calories and sugar? Especially compared to candy! Your welcome, parents :)

My love for these caramelized treats didn't stop there though..how about this cheesecake?


While browsing the internet the other night I came across this Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake and mid cookie crunch, it hit me! How yum would Biscoff cookies be as a crust!? If you’re not lucky enough to get a free box of cookies like me, you can always go to your local Walgreens and pick some up or order a box online directly from Biscoff.

Now, if you’re a regular follower of this blog you’ll notice that I’ve never attempted a cheesecake before. To be honest, I can normally give or take this particular dessert, but this Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake may have changed my mind.

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake with Biscoff Cookie Crust
adapted from Right @ Home

Biscoff Cookie Crust
2 cups crushed Biscoff Cookies (about 1 ½ sleeves put through a food processer)
6 TBS butter, melted
¼ cup sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan and set aside.
In a small bowl, mix crushed cookies, melted butter and sugar until blended.
Press cookie mixture into pan, pressing cookies up along sides about ½ to 1 inch.
Bake crust for 8 minutes and remove from oven.

Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake Filling
1 ¾ cup Pumpkin Pie Mix (not canned pumpkin)
3 packages cream cheese, at room temperature
¼ cup sugar *optional if you want a sweeter cake- I opted FOR the sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 TBS cornstarch

In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese on low to med-low until creamy.
Add pumpkin and sugar- beat on medium until combined.
Beat in eggs, one at a time incorporating after each addition.
Mix in vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and corn starch.
Pour pumpkin filling into prepared crust, smooth top.
Place cheesecake in oven and bake for 1 hour.
At about 50 minutes check to see if cheesecake is done*.
Remove from oven and allow to cool in pan for at least an hour before refrigerating.
About 30 minutes into cooling, run knife around edge of cake to prevent cracking while cooling.
Allow cheesecake to cool for at least 3 hours in fridge (cover top with saran wrap), but for best results refrigerate over night before eating.

How to tell a Cheesecake is done:
1. The first indication of a "done" cheesecake are the sides- look for a lightly browned edge pulling away from pan.
2. Tap side of pan with knife or spoon or slightly shake cake. If cheesecake jiggles like jello (in one motion) then it is done. If you let it sit in the oven anymore it’ll become overdone.
3. Lightly press the top of the cake feeling for firmness.

For more tips on cheese-caking check out Baking911. They have everything from how to tell if a cheesecake is done and what to do if your cheesecake cracks to how to best cut a cheesecake... I found their tips extremely helpful, especially for a cheesecake newbie like myself!

 Happy Baking!

A little update on our move for those of you interested.. We got all moved in this weekend thanks to MM's family and while MM is busy hanging pictures and setting up closets, I'm staying busy in my new huge kitchen! Only down fall is we're still trying to get the internet working at our house..that means my posts might not be as frequent until we get it all figured out! I have a ton of recipes waiting for you though so don't worry :)