Monday, January 10, 2011

Orange Cranberry Scones


I couldn't believe how long it had been since I made scones.

It's not that they haven't been on my mind, because... well, quite frankly I love these little British gems.


I actually had all intentions of making these while we were skiing until it hit me about 5 hours into the drive that I had forgotten the flour, sugar and baking powder...all I had were the cranberries and oranges..fail. 


Then, once we got to Colorado I realized it would have been high altitude baking and that just flat out scares me.
 
Every time I go away and come back, I love my kitchen even more than I did before.  A week away from the kitchen is hard when you're constantly gawking at good food all over the computer and dreaming about sweets, just wishing you could get your hands on a whisk.

These scones turned out to be the perfect way to get back in there and start the weekend off right.


Orange Cranberry Scones
Oven: 425 Bake time: 15 minutes
Makes 6 scones
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

2 cups AP flour
1 TBS baking powder
4 TBS sugar
1/2 tsp salt
5 TBS butter, cold and cubed
1 TBS orange zest
1 cup orange-cranberries* recipe below
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat oven to 425. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add flour, baking powder, sugar, orange zest and salt to a food processor. Pulse two times to mix.
Add butter and continue to pulse until butter is incorporated and grainy/sand consistency is reached.
Pour ingredients into a large bowl and add fruit- fold lightly to combine.
Slowly stir in heavy cream until dough is thick then transfer dough to lightly floured counter and knead by hand until a soft dough ball is formed.
Form into about a 1-inch thick disk.
Cut the disk into 6 equal wedges.
Transfer to baking sheet and place in oven for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.


Orange Cranberries
1 cup orange juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups cranberries

In a large sauce pan, place orange juice, water and sugar over medium heat.
Bring to a simmer and add cranberries.
Heat for about 5 minutes, just until the cranberries skins are soft* Make sure you watch your cranberries! I looked away for what seemed like seconds and all my cranberries exploded.. I still used them, but that's why my scones have a red hue.
Drain cranberries and pat dry before adding to scone mixture.


I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for the well wishes and congratulations :) Ya'll are too sweet! I'll be sure to keep you updated as the wedding adventures continue.. I'm still trying to get used to the sparkle on my left hand and calling Mountain Man my fiance...but I'm also loving every second of it! :)