Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baked Cake Donuts


Is it do-nuts or dough-nuts?

Is there a difference or is it just a personal preference?

Seriously, these are the kind of things I think about....

Sad? Maybe, but I like to tell myself that it's just my passion for baking that leads me to these kinds of important life questions.

I've been meaning to make donuts for a while now. I actually got a hankering for them months ago and had the misfortune of not being able to find a doughnut pan anywhere, leading me to an online purchase. Needless to say, by the time I actually got the pan my craving had diminished and my new baking tool found its way to the back of the cabinet.

A little Spring cleaning later, the pan reappeared and I after one bite I remembered why I had wanted these glorious little breakfast treats in the first place.

Baking them makes me feel a little better about my breakfast choice, but if I get the deep fryer I registered for you best bet you'll be seeing the fried variety as well.

Baked Cake Donuts
Oven: 325 Bake time: 8-10 minutes
Makes 12 donuts (or halve it for 6)

2 cups AP flour
3/4 cup white sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 TBS shortening

Preheat oven to 325. Spray Donut pan with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
Stir in buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and shortening and beat until blended.
Fill a pastry bag or ziplock bag with donut batter and cut tip/corner.


Use bag to fill each donut cup about 3/4 the way full.
  
 

Bake for about 8-10 minutes, until donuts are browned.
While donuts are baking, prepare toppings*
Allow to cool slightly in pan before removing.


Glaze or coat with prepared toppings.

Topping choices




Cinnamon-Sugar: Place 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/2 sugar in ziplock bag. Lightly spray baked donuts with cooking spray and place in cinnamon-sugar mixture. Zip up bag and shake until donut is completely coated.


Powdered Sugar: Place 1/2 cup powdered sugar in ziplock bag. Place donut in bag, zip and shake until donut is completely coated.


Chocolate Glaze: Mix 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 TBS warm milk and 2 TBS cocoa powder in small bowl. Dip donut into glaze.

Happy Baking!