Sunday, December 13, 2009

Cakes for All

Disclaimer: Having just started this blog, these are all the cakes I've made up until now

I made my first tiered cake as a surprise for my best friend's birthday. Per request, I assembled a Yellow Cake with Chocolate Buttercream Icing into a two tiered purple and green cake. It was quite an adventure learning to work with fondant, but for my first time I had to give myself a pat on the back.

One cake down, and many birthdays to go I started on my next challenge. My boyfriend and his brother are a day apart, so why wouldn't I try to combine their days of birth on one 'mountainous' cake? I started with 2 Chocolate Sheet Cakes and added layer upon layer until a mountain was born covered with homemade Buttercream Icing. Before I even started on the cake, I spent a couple hours recreating Dustin and Chad in fondant, who would be climbing this Mountain Man Cake.


It was my task upon graduating from grad school this past spring to make the cake for our party. I, along with my 6 fellow graduating classmates, celebrated our successes by chomping into our homemade marshmallow fondant made Georgia Southern University eagle, that delicately covered the 3 layer White Mountain Cake with homemade Buttercream Icing.


T-rex holds a special place in my heart because he was my first paid-for-cake. A friend of mine was celebrating her youngest son's 2nd birthday and knowing my passion for cakes, asked me to create a dinosaur perfect for their beachfront birthday bash. This two day project was the most fun I've had making a cake. T's head, feet and arms are actually made of molded Rice Krispies treats covered with fondant and his body is the same White Mountain Cake I used for the graduation cake and Buttercream Icing.

I attended a Halloween party this past October and when asked to bring something, I immediately made it my own Halloween cake challenge. Being fall, I tried out a Pumpkin Spice Cake, with Spiced Cream Cheese icing and instead of going with the store bought fondant I actually used homemade marshmallow fondant to cover the Witches Brew.