Monday, May 3, 2010

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes for Brad

My friend Brad LOVES chocolate chip cookies.. I mean he really loves them...the other night after dinner I basically watched him chain eat cookies along side of his mint chocolate chip ice cream..did I mention the ice cream alone was about 6 cups worth of the stuff?! It was awesome. So when I realized that his birthday was coming up I knew exactly what kind of cupcake I was going to make for him... Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes. 


As nerdy as it sounds, I get a huge buzz out of creating something for someone based on the things they like. I look forward to getting to know someone's taste buds, finding out what they just can't get enough of, what they can't resist and most importantly what is going to make them happy.

So here's to you Brad, lover of everything chocolate chip, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :)

Word of warning, these cupcakes take a good amount of time because the cookie dough used has to be completely frozen. I suggest making the dough a day or two ahead of time so you don't have to worry about it. I would also like to suggest purchasing Alton Brown's book if you're at all interested in baking and the science behind it all- again, I'm a nerd and totally enjoy that kinda thing.


Chocolate Chip Cookies (dough)
recipe by Alton Brown- I'm Just here for More Food
Chocolate Chip Cookie #10
Yields 3 dozen cookies (I made half the recipe)

2 1/4 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
2 large egg yolks, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips (I used mini)

Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt.
In separate bowl, mix sugars, butter, yolks and vanilla.
Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
Add chocolate chip and mix until incorporated/distributed.
Using a teaspoon, scoop cookie dough into small balls. Place in a zip-lock bag or airtight container that can go in the freezer. Freeze until solid.

*I had cookie dough left over after filling the cupcakes so I baked the rest for a little cupcake accessory. If you want to do the same, preheat oven to 375 and bake for 15 minutes. Let cookies cool for 2 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack to continue cooling.

Brown Sugar Cupcakes
Recipe from Cupcake Bakeshop
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 20 minutes
Makes 12 cupcakes

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla 

Preheat oven to 350. 
Whisk flour, baking powder and salt.
Beat butter until smooth and add sugar beating until light and fluffy.
Add eggs one at a time, beating until combined each time.
Mix in flour mixture, alternating with milk and vanilla, beginning and ending with flour.
Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into prepared cupcake pan.
Get cookie dough balls out of the fridge and place in cupcake, pushing down into center of batter.
Bake for 20 minutes.
When checking to see if done, make sure not to put your toothpick in the middle or you'll get cookie dough.
Transfer to cooling rack.
Frost with chocolate buttercream, chocolate swiss meringue or chocolate ganache

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRAD!!