Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Make Your Own Granola 2 (MYOG) and Bars

After discovering how simple it is to make my own granola and granola bars, whenever I walk down the snack isle at the grocery store I smile to myself knowing that I can make something just as tasty and I'm saving money! Plus, there is something about being able to pick and choose what I want to go into my creations that always adds a certain level of excitement and joy to my day (yah, I know what you're thinking...'that make her happy? wow' but sadly it's true.. I'm a sucker for good ingredients and creativity).

This baking adventure was two-fold; with just a single batch I made a basic granola mix and some granola bars as well. If bars aren't your thing, feel free to stop after the granola has baked for something to sprinkle over your morning bowl of yogurt...if you are looking for something you can hold on to well then by all means, double up and make a whole batch of bars- too easy :)

This recipe makes the basic granola, which is then used in the granola bars I made as well.

Basic Granola 
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 15 minutes
Makes about 4 cups of prepared granola

2 cups quick oats
2 TBS flax seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/4 cup applesauce
2 TBS honey
2 TBS organic pure maple syrup
1 TBS oil
2 tsp cinnamon
optional: 1/4 cup dried cranberries and 1/4 cup dried blueberries

Mix oats, seeds, wheat germ, and almonds till all are evenly distributed.
Add applesauce, honey, syrup and oil. (tip: If you measure out the oil in your measuring spoon first, the honey and syrup will transfer to the bowl easier)
With wooden spoon, mix until dry ingredients are well coated.
Transfer to parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in oven to bake for 15 minutes.
After granola has been baked and cooled, mix in dried berries.
Place in airtight container for keeping.



'All Sorts of Things' Granola Bars
2 cups prepared Basic Granola
1 1/2 cup Rice Krispies
1 cup Extras* I recently purchased a pre-mixed combo of dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, peanuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, dried apples, and sunflower seeds that I used, but you could potential use any combination of things- get creative the possibilities are endless! *
1 TBS oil (to coat pan)
3/4 cup almond butter
2 TBS corn syrup
3 TBS honey

In large bowl, combine rice krispies, granola and extras.
Coat a small sauce pan with 1 TBS of oil- over medium heat continually stir almond butter, corn syrup and honey until warm and smooth.
Pour warm mixture over dry ingredients and mix until combined and starting to stick together.
Transfer to parchment paper lined baking dish, pressing into pan.
Place back in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and place on cooling rack for about 20 minutes before placing into fridge for further cooling.
Once completely cooled, cut into small squares- wrap in saran wrap, foil or wax paper to ensure shape is maintained.
 Happy Baking!