Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Peanut Butter-Banana Breakfast Bake


Earlier this week I work up craving something warm for breakfast, but wasn't in the mood for pancakes (I know, crazy) and didn't have the time to make muffins. And then I saw one perfectly ripe banana sitting on top of the microwave just waiting to be eaten and it got my gears going.  I tried to go for something a little on the healthier side and ended up with something pretty delicious if you ask me.

This little bake takes absolutely no time at all to whip up and only about 25 minutes to bake, so if you have a few extra minutes in your morning routine I suggest you use it wisely! As soon as I woke up I wandered to the kitchen, put on a pot of coffee, created this Peanut Butter-Banana Breakfast Bake, popped it in the oven, and let the oven do its magic while I got ready. Twenty minutes later I sat down to a delicious breakfast before driving to work.

Just another adventure in the kitchen of EEB. 

Peanut Butter-Banana Breakfast Bake
Bake time: 25 minutes  Oven: 350
Makes perfect amount for 2-3 people

1/2 cup rolled quick oats
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 TBS wheat germ
4 tsp whey protein powder (completely optional)
3 TBS honey
1 tsp cinnamon
4 TBS applesauce
1 large ripe banana
1-2 TBS peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350.
In a small bowl, mash banana with a fork. Stir in honey, applesauce, peanut butter and cinnamon.
In a larger bowl, mix quick oats, flour, baking powder, wheat germ and protein powder.
Pour banana mixture into dry mixture and mix with wooden spoon until combined.
Pour into small baking dish sprayed with cooking spray (I used a 5x5 casserole dish) and bake for 25 minutes.

Enjoy along side a small bowl of vanilla yogurt, drizzled with honey and some extra cinnamon...what a great way to start the day :)

Happy Baking!