Thursday, October 14, 2010

A Bright New Kitchen and a Flourless Almond Cake

We're moving!

Just to the next town over, but still!

I'm going from this kitchen...
 ...to this kitchen!
Look at all those cabinets.. and all the natural light?!

I'm in heaven.

Just one more time in case you missed it...

this mess...

to two ovens!

My current mixing spot...


to a perfect little place for my Kitchen Aid!


When Mountain Man found this house on Craigslist, I wasn't impressed with the lake views, enormous backyard or two car garage. Nope, the first thing I saw were the two ovens in the corner of the kitchen, the perfect spot for my kitchen aid mixer, the ample counter space, numerous cabinets and the pantry the size of our current kitchen.

So if I'm absent from the blog world for a few days you now know why. 

No, I'm not busy moving things..

I'll be doing kitchen angels in the center of the room for at least the next week, basking in the ample space now available to me, while Mountain Man gets everything moved in.

But before I go I will leave you with some yummy little Flourless Almond Cakes (Gluten-Free) 

The first batch was an epic fail...

I was so excited to use my new mini bundt pan and then FAIL- the cakes stuck completely to the bottom... leaving me with a mess.

Then I made a second batch..

They may not fit perfectly in their cute little cupcake liners, but I promise you they still taste delicious and they're flourless! Perfect for all our gluten intolerant sufferers out there.

I would normally make this cake in an 8-inch cake pan or springform, but I was sending these to my Aunt so I wanted to make sure they would travel well.

Flourless Almond Cake
adapted from EatingWell.com

1 1/3 cup almond meal or finely ground almonds
1/3 cup honey
3 eggs, separated
dash of salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven to 350. You have your choice of pan: Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan, spring form pan, mini bundt pan, or line cupcakes (makes 12).
In a large bowl, mix/beat almond meal, honey, extracts and egg yolks.
In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form.
Gently fold egg whites into almond mixture until just incorporated.
Fill pan of choice with batter and transfer to oven for 15-20 minutes. Test with toothpick.
Begin to make glaze *optional
Once baked, transfer cake to cooling rack.
If using the glaze: While cake is still warm poke the top lightly with a fork. Pour glaze over cake- pressing down lightly so glaze soaks into cake.

Amaretto Glaze
1/3 cup Amaretto
1 cup powdered sugar

In a small bowl, whisk Amaretto and powdered sugar until smooth.

If you're down with using alcohol the Amaretto glaze really lends a wonderful sweet almond flavor to the cake. And despite the failure of the first batch, Mountain Man and I still enjoyed the remnants of cake soaked in the glaze.. I hope my Aunt enjoys them as much as we did!

Well folks, we've got a lot to do this week...I'll be back in a few days with some fabulous recipes for you.

Happy Baking!