Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes for 2

 

In our tiny little apartment, dessert is never a matter of if we should have it, it is more a matter of what are we having.

Between the counter top, the cupboard, the fridge and the freezer, there is always something sweet to be found. A diabetic wouldn't be able to survive a day in my kitchen.. sugar is everywhere! 

Lucky for me (and MM as well) I've discovered the art of portion control.  I'm always craving something sweet, but I can usually satisfy it in a bite or two... on most occasions. 

This is where the art of creating desserts for two is key.

I have had this recipe in my arsenal for a while now, but the original serves 8. We absolutely do NOT need 8 servings of this chocolate lava goodness, plus I don't even own 8 ramekins. So after a few scribbles of basic division, I got the recipe down to 2.  

Two perfect little portions of Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes.


Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes
adapted from recipe found on foodnetwork.com
Oven: 400 Bake time: 12 minutes
Two servings

1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 TBS butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar, plus extra for garnish
1 egg
3 TBS AP flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS nutella (optional)

Preheat oven to 400. Spray 2 ramekins with cooking spray, place on baking sheet and set aside.
In a bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds until smooth.
Add powdered sugar and mix until incorporated.
Add egg and whisk until smooth.
Stir in flour and vanilla extract until smooth.
Pour batter into prepared ramekins and transfer baking pan to oven.
Bake for 12 minutes.
Allow to sit for 1 minute before inverting onto plate.

Optional garnish: Place a dollop of nutella on top of each cake and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Mountain Man finished his off with a scoop of ice cream as well!


Surprise your significant other..
Impress that special person..
Change up the typical bowl of ice cream..
Make date night extra yummy..
but most importantly..
Enjoy!

Happy Baking!


ps. sorry for the quality of pics.. it was late and I wanted to eat this while it was still warm- Can ya blame me!?