Monday, January 31, 2011

Homemade Lemon Curd


Once you learn how to make things yourself, buying it in the store just seems silly.

Like this past summer when I dabbled in jam making... I loved the whole process of canning your own jams and jelly and now you should see our fridge. I had to start writing down flavor combinations because we ran out of space and I don't have enough friends to give the stuff away to. 

Same goes for this Lemon Curd.. who knew curd would be so easy? A few weeks ago I actually made Mango Curd (a post to come soon) and was so happy with the result that I had to try this Lemon Curd... I can only imagine what's coming next.

This lemon curd was an integral part of a birthday cake brainstorm and I used the left over in last month's Daring Bakers' Challenge.

The cake will be coming later this week...I hope you'll be able to survive the anticipation.


Lemon Curd
Recipe from Joy of Baking
Makes 2 jars

3 eggs
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 TBS lemon zest
3/4 cup sugar
4 TBS butter

Whisk eggs, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan.
Over medium heat, cook until mixture thickens and reaches 160 degrees with candy thermometer (about 10 minutes)
Remove from heat and sieve for lumps.
Cut butter into small cubes and whisk into warm mixture.
Add zest and allow to completely cool before using.

Happy Baking!