Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Muffins for a Week: Whole Wheat Blueberry Cereal Muffins

I have a sick love affair with almost anything that has to do with morning eats- scones, cinnamon rolls, muffins, pancakes, waffles, french toast, cereal- if it's somewhat sweet and can be ate in the morning you've got me.. hook line and sinker. A couple weeks ago I was checking out what Joy the Baker was up to and came across some bran muffins she had recently made that used cereal and could be kept in the fridge for a week.

Fresh muffins all week long?? Done and done.

I actually had some Blueberry Almond Cereal that I was trying to find something to do with because it was just a litttle too sweet for me in the morning. I was going to use it in cookies until I came across her recipe. A few tweaks later and I had delicious muffins every morning for a week :)

Little ramekins come in handy for single muffins!

Whole Wheat Blueberry Cereal Muffins
Inspired and Adapted from Joy the Baker
Oven: 375  Bake Time: 25 minutes
Yields 20-24 muffins

1/2 box cereal (bran or other flakes, like I said before I used Blueberry&Almond)
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup agave nectar or honey*
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup milk
1 cup frozen blueberries

Whisk flours, cereal, baking soda and salt.
In different bowl mix oil, applesauce, sweetener, milk and vanilla. Gently beat eggs before adding to wet mixture.
Using a wooden spoon, mix wet ingredients and flour mixture. Fold in blueberries.
Let batter sit for at least 45 minutes so cereal can get soft, or keep in airtight/covered container in fridge for up to a week.
When ready, pour batter into prepared muffin tin and bake for 25 minutes.



When I left for work last week while my girlfriends got to sleep in they were totally impressed when they woke up to fresh muffins. I was almost bummed when I had to let them in on my little secret...

Happy Baking!!

*I am trying to use less agave nectar because it is unfortunately not the healthy alternative that it says it is. MM brought this to my attention a couple of weeks ago and I then made it my mission to research it as much as possible. They are finding that it is not actually healthier than regular sugar. In addition, the body actually processes it very differently than other sugars, which is something that my dietician friend explained to me may not be good large quantities. That being said, I used a very small amount in this recipes mostly because I was trying to finish the bottle I had. From now on I am going to be trying recipes using natural raw sugars and/or honey when I can.