Saturday, May 1, 2010

Blackberry Scones

All week I've been thinking about scones...I really think the Brits got it right with these guys. Just a couple weeks ago as MM and I sat outside of Starbucks and munched on a blueberry scone, I found myself judging it the whole time. Now don't get me wrong, they have pretty good scones, but we both agreed that a very fresh, homemade scone, is soo much better! Especially baked by me ;)

The blackberries in the grocery store have been looking fantastic lately. As I was adding the deliciously plump berries to my yogurt the other afternoon, I knew then that they would be the latest addition to my weekend breakfast baked goods. I can honestly say I spend a good part of the week conjuring up what I'm going to bake over the weekend.. you may think it sad, but I bet you wouldn't if you were getting to eat them too!

I really love the book this recipe originated. I did however, make a few modifications to the recipe this time- I really like trying to use whole wheat or white whole wheat flour when I can so that made it in the mix and I am also starting to experiment with the different sugars out there so I went with Turbinado this time. I'm also adding some scone knowledge in Tips & Tricks so check it out!

Blackberry Scones
Adapted from The Craft of Baking by Karen DeMasco and Mindy Fox
Oven: 375 Prep Time: 30 Bake Time: 20 min
Makes 8 scones

1 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour- plus a little for rolling
1 TBS plus 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (granulated or other..this is where I used Turbinado)
1/2 tsp salt
6 TBS chilled unsalted butter, cut in pieces
1/2 cup blackberries, patted dry and tossed with a TBS of flour
1 TBS lemon zest *optional
1 cup buttermilk- plus some for brushing
1 TBS sugar

In a large mixing bowl with paddle attachment mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
Add pieces of butter and place in freezer for 5 minutes.
Beat on medium speed until butter is broken into pebble sized pieces.
Add blackberries and mix until incorporated and distributed.
Add buttermilk, mixing until dough starts to come together. Use your hands to complete this process and turn out dough on lightly floured surface *if your dough doesn't seem stable enough add a little more flour.
Roll dough into circle about 3/4 inch thick. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into wedges like you would a pie.

Transfer the wedges to your baking sheet, cover with saran wrap and place in freezer for about 15 minutes or chill in the fridge for about an hour.
While scones are chilling preheat oven to 375.
Brush scones with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar before placing in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
When scones are browned along sides and firm to the touch, remove from oven and place on rack to cool.


Happy Baking!

Wholewheat Blackberry Scones on Foodista