Friday, May 7, 2010

Banana Avocado Bread

You heard it right everybody, banana and avocado meet again...this time in bread form! If you haven't had the opportunity to try this delicious duo I suggest you do so as soon as your taste buds can get you there. I don't know what it is about these two fruits, but I think they just work together wonderfully.


The first time I saw a recipe for avocado bread I was intrigued. I absolutely love avocados, but I just wasn't sure how they would hold up when baking. A few months ago I saw some delicious looking avocado bread on one of the many food sites I visit and immediately bookmarked the idea in my mind. It wasn't until I saw the ripe avocados staring at me in the fridge this week that the idea came back to me. After conducting a good search I found a recipe that looked worth trying and the rest is history :)
With the addition of the ripe banana in my freezer just begging to be used, the baking Banana Avocado Bread wafted through my kitchen as I tried to get my stuff together for my little vacay. After spending a week at the beach with my family, Mountain Man and I will be making our way back to Texas and he'll be staying for good!! 18 hours in a truck pulling a UHAUL... if that's not quality time, than I don't know what is.


Although the addition of the banana was definitely a good choice, the flavor was a bit overpowering. I kind of wish the bread was a little more avocado-y... next time I'm going to let the avocado fly solo. SO I'll totally understand if you want to substitute the banana with another small avocado.


Banana Avocado Bread
Oven: 350 Bake time: 45 minutes
Yields 1 loaf
Adapted from a recipe found at allsands.com


1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup turbinado sugar (or regular sugar)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 small ripe avocado, mashed
1 ripe banana, mashed


Preheat oven to 350.
Whisk flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt in large bowl.
Mash avocado and banana in a food processor or by hand if you don't have a food processor.
In a medium bowl mix egg, oil, buttermilk and sugar until combined. Add avocado/banana and mix until incorporated.
Add avocado mixture to flour mixture and mix until blended.
Pour into prepared loaf pan.
Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes or when top is browned and firm to touch. Test for doneness with a toothpick and bake longer if necessary.
Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
The next time you hear from me I'll be a whole lot tanner and a whole lot happier with my MM by my side :)


Happy Baking!