Monday, March 21, 2011

Apple Turnovers for Breakfast

I have a secret.

I have a secret that I'm just dying to tell people, but I can't!

Slightly jaded from the countless hours of 'Say Yes to the Dress,' I was waiting for tears to pour down my face when I turned to look in the mirror while wearing the one.. but it didn't happen.

Despite my lack of tears, I still knew..the last dress of the afternoon, my heart started pounding and I could actually see myself dancing the night away in my fabulous gown...and I knew.

Much to the dismay of some close friends, after a little deliberation with my dress shopping companions, we decided it would be fun to keep the dress a secret.

Do you know how difficult this is going to be!?

It was so exciting to find the one the second day trying on dresses, but when friends ask I tell them they have to wait... just like Mountain Man.

But on the inside, I want to shout it from the rooftops...not to mention dance around for hours in it... I didn't even want to take it off to purchase it.

Something I won't keep a secret though are these Apple Turnovers....light and flaky, perfect for a lazy Sunday or a Spring brunch.



Quick Puff Pastry
adapted from Annie's Eats
Oven: 357 Bake time: 30-35 minutes
Makes 8 turnovers

1 1/2 cups AP flour
1 TBS sugar
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsalted cold butter, cut in cubes
1/4 cup plus 1 TBS ice water

Apple-Cinnamon Filling
2 medium sized apples (I used Gala)
2 TBS brown sugar
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS flour
1 TBS butter

In a food processor, add flour, sugar and salt and pulse to combine.
Slowly add butter, a few cubes at a time and pulse until incorporated- butter should be about pea sized.
Transfer mixture to bowl.
Add ice water to mixture and using your hands, mix until dough begins to clump together. At this point, turn mixture out onto a lightly floured surface- the dough will still be crumbly.
Using your hands, knead the dough until it all starts to come together. (Annie does a fabulous job demonstrating this, so I'll leave you to the expert if you need a photo tutorial.)

Once the dough comes together, press into an 6x3 inch rectangle, wrap with saran wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
Place dough on lightly floured surface and roll out into about an 10x6 inch rectangle.
Fold the dough length wise in thirds (again, Annie has a great tutorial) then starting from smaller end, roll up dough like a cinnamon roll.
Press it back down into about a 6x3 rectangle.
Repeat process of rolling out and folding one more time and once you've rolled your dough up for the second time, press into 6x3 rectangle again, wrap and place back in the fridge for about an hour.

While dough is chilling, you can begin to make your filling.

Peel and core both apples.
Thinly slice apples and place in medium sized bowl.
Combine sugars, cinnamon, flour and apple slices- lightly tossing to coat.
In a large skillet, melt 1 TBS butter over medium heat.
Add cinnamon sugar apples and cook until apples are tender- about 5 minutes.


Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Roll out into a large rectangle about 1/8 inch think- about 12x8 inches.


Using a pizza cutter, cut dough into 6 equal sized squares- about 4x4 inches (you may have to stretch them a little individually).


Place squares on parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Add a heaping spoonful of cooled apple mixture to center of each pastry square.
Lightly moisten edges of pastry and fold corner to corner.
Use a fork to crimp edges.


Repeat on each turnover.
Place back in fridge for about 15 minutes before baking.
Preheat oven to 375.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or lightly browned.


Happy Baking!
and
Happy First Day of Spring!