Monday, March 7, 2011

Fresh Mango Curd


A few months ago Mountain Man was returning home from a trip and happened to be sitting next to a girl that lived not too far from us. As they got to talking, she told him about how she was getting married this summer and they were trying to be as local as possible when it came to vendors.

Being the amazing fiance that is he, MM used the opportunity for a shameless plug and gave the young lady my site address.

A couple days after the trip I went to check my email and there it was- Subject: "Wedding cake baker needed".. Oh my goodness, I thought to myself.. it worked!

Although Diana's wedding isn't until May, we began the cake conversation and she told me about a delicious orange cake she had with mango filling and an amaretto frosting.

Being a little new to these flavors, we decided a tasting was in order, enter: Mango Curd.

Lucky for me, Deb of Smitten Kitchen made a mango curd for a wedding cake she did, so I knew it was going to be good.

I'm only sharing the mango curd for now, but I promise a full wedding cake post come May.

Mango Curd
Recipe from Smitten Kitchen
Makes 1-2 cups of curd

1 large mango or 2 smaller mangoes, peeled, pitted and cut into small cubes
1/3-1/2 cup sugar (depending on how tart(1/3) or sweet (1/2) you want it)
3 TBS fresh lime juice
4 large egg yolks
1/4 cup butter, cut into small cubes

Puree mango, sugar, lime juice and salt in a food processor.
Add yolks and pulse to combine.
If lumpy, strain through sieve or transfer too large metal bowl.
Set metal bowl over saucepan of simmering water and whisk puree until thickened and thermometer reads 170 degrees, about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat.
Whisk in butter, 1 piece.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Happy Baking!

Oh and the wedding dress shopping was a complete success :)