Thursday, August 25, 2011

Banana-Coconut Oat Bread


Whenever I look back at my first few months blogging my jaw drops at the poor quality of my pictures and horribly written recipes. It's amazing to me that people actually read the stuff or even started following me for that matter.

I never would have thought that I'd get as far as I have or establish a relationship with my readers that keeps them coming back for more.

And it always puts a huge smile on my face when I hear from old friends or even old acquaintances that they read my blog.. "you know, I have to admit, I totally read your blog," like it's a little secret they're scared to admit, but they're sharing it with me. I absolutely love it and that's why I keep doing what I do.

I also never would have imagined that companies would contact me to do reviews for them.. one of the coolest perks of blogging. It's not like people are knocking down my door to give me their product, but I get something every once and a while and it puts that same smile on my face. Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to get to the point where people are asking me to give away mixers or review things every week, but at this point I'm perfectly content with that unexpected email waiting in my inbox followed by that product filled package waiting on my doorstep.

This bread is a product of one of those products. The wonderful folks at Kelapo contacted me a few weeks back and asked if I'd be interested in trying out some coconut oil. I have to admit, I'm not a huge coconut fan, but Mountain Man sure is so I thought what the heck.. why not!


Truth be told, I actually really enjoyed this bread. I substituted the coconut oil in place of the normal stick of butter I add to my bread and it really did something to the flavor, not to mention added a few health benefits.

For more coconut oil recipes and to learn a little more about the benefits of using coconut oil check out their website: We're Coconuts.



Banana-Coconut Oat Bread
Oven: 350 Bake time: 45 minutes
1 large loaf or 3 mini loaves

1 cup AP flour
1 cup quick oats
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup Kelapo coconut oil, melted
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
3 bananas, smashed
1/2 cup buttermilk

In a large bowl, whisk flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
In a smaller bowl, mix brown sugar and coconut oil until well combined.
Add egg and smashed bananas, mixing until smooth-ish (it's always nice to have a few chunks).
Add wet to dry ingredients and mix.
Stir in buttermilk and mix until combined.
Pour into prepared baking pans.
Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow to cool on cooling rack before serving.


Our house is all packed up... nothing left but me, my kitchen aid and a crate full of cake tools. That's right, even in my last week I'll be making a wedding cake for a friend. Once Mountain Man leaves I'll be heading over to some friends to stay out my last week of work and then its road trip time. A little 24-hour QT with the first man in my life, my dad.

These next few weeks may be a little rough for the blog, I'll try to get to things when I can, but I can't make any promises! I'll be back soon though so stick with me!!

Happy Baking!