Thursday, August 19, 2010

'Choco-Nana-Nutter' Vanilla Pudding Pie

I got a little crazy with the chocolate syrup..
Yes, I just made up a word.. 'Choco-Nana-Nutter.'

Choco-Nana-Nutter (n): chocolate, banana and peanut butter (aka the best combination ever)

A few days ago one of my friends sent me a message to tell me about the Chocolate Pudding Pie she made to prove to her mom that she can cook.. if someone walked into my office while reading this little message they probably would have thought I was crazy, as I was smiling from ear to ear.

Why you ask? Because I love the feeling of being associated with sweets and desserts and cooking/baking adventures.

It makes me so happy to get calls and messages from friends regarding stories in the kitchen or baking questions.. just the other day MM's mom called me about zucchini bread..I like being the person people can turn to when they have questions like that...it makes me feel special, like I know something.

But back to the pudding pie! Although Darcy's intention was just to tell me a silly little story, she inspired me- I immediately started to think about making my own pudding pie when I got home from work.

Much to my dismay, chocolate pudding was no where to be found in my very full cupboards, but I did find a vanilla mix. Plain vanilla? that just wouldn't do.. I needed something more exciting than that.

I quickly got to making a graham cracker crust while the cranks kept turning for the perfect combination of ingredients for my pudding pie.. with chocolate on the mind I knew it had to be in there somewhere, but still I longed for more. I opened the cupboard and stared for a bit then moved onto the kitchen counter. The rest...was history.

Chocolate? check.
Bananas? check.
Peanut Butter? check.

'Choco-nana-nutter' Vanilla Pudding Pie
swEEts original


1 graham cracker crust (recipe below)
1 package of instant vanilla pudding
1 3/4 cup whole milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 banana, sliced
chocolate syrup (optional)

Prepare graham cracker crust (can also be made a couple days in advance).
Prepare vanilla pudding according to package (using pie directions with less milk) and place in fridge to set and thicken.
Once your crust is cool and you pudding is set, it's time to make the chocolate layer.
Place chocolate chips and peanut butter in a small bowl and microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, stopping to stir every 30 seconds, until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
Pour chocolate-peanut butter mixture into pie crust and using a spatula, spread along crust.
Place banana slices on top of chocolate-peanut butter layer.
Finally, spoon in the pudding, using a spatula to smooth the top.
Garnish with extra slices of banana and chocolate syrup (optional).

Graham Crack Crust
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 20 minutes

1 sleeve graham crackers, crushed
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

In a bowl, combine crushed graham crackers, sugar and melted butter and mix until crackers start to stick together.
Press into lightly Pam coated pie pan.
Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before adding filling (I placed mine in the fridge)


As I whipped all of this together shortly after I got home from work,  MM was a little skeptical of the banana addition, but in one bite he just looked at me, mouth full, with that look.."awesome" was all I could make out as he munched on his piece of pie.

If you're looking for a quick dessert look no further..

Happy Baking!