Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, Peanut Butter Cookies


Remember the book Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day? Yah? Well mine just happened.

I headed home from work yesterday afternoon very content with the way my Monday had gone. I'm dog sitting this week so I was excited to get home to let the little Irish car bomb (their names are Guinness and Bailey) out before heading to the grocery store and then it happened..

I get back to my car only to be greeted by a wonderful pool of brown liquid leaking from somewhere under the hood. I turn the car on and immediately the flashing light stares me in the face- something to do with the coolant.

Awesome.

At 630pm, why would anything be open? I mean, cars never break down after 5 and they can magically fix themselves after 6pm right? everyone knows that.. ugh.

Luckily the Walmart Service Center was open, but they couldn't do anything about it except add some coolant, which ended in the discovery of a busted hose, which meant no more driving for me, which meant towing in the morning...oh, and did I mention MM is out of town and so are the other 4 people I know in town?

To make matters worse, this morning I had to get back to my car for it to get towed and had to pay a taxi driver in quarters because I didn't have any cash on me...I paid a taxi driver in quarters.

Of course the dealership didn't have any lender cars (why would they?) and they don't know how long the fix is going to take, they had to order the part... I'm stuck at my apartment.

The moral of the story? Peanut Butter Cookies.

Peanut butter cookies make me happy. Peanut butter cookies make me forget that I'm stuck inside my apartment all day. Peanut butter cookies make me forget how much this is going to cost.

Peanut butter cookies give me a little peace in a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.


Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from a recipe found on allrecipes.com
Oven: 350 Bake time: 10 minutes
Makes about 18 cookies

1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 TBS white sugar for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl add all ingredients and mix until combined.
Roll dough into tablespoon size ball and place on baking sheets.
Sprinkle balls with white sugar and using a fork press criss-cross into top of cookie.
Transfer to oven for 10 minutes, then allow to cool on rack for at least 15-20 minutes.
I might eat this whole plate.. don't judge me.

Ever had one of these days?? I'd love to hear about.. what is your go-to treat in these situations??