Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Leftover cake?? sounds like Cake Balls!

So after I got done with April's cake I had a bunch of scrapped cake from the carving and leveling of layers. I also had a good amount of frosting left over (as usual) and of course I didn't want to waste all these perfectly edible ingredients. As I stood in my kitchen trying to figure out something to do with these goodies, fighting the urge to just go to town with the bowl and a spoon, I spotted the box of Christmas truffles that I've also been fighting the urge to go to town on. Then it dawned on me: Cake Balls!

The truffles I had happened to have little crunchies in them-making my cake balls not completely round....

Cake Balls are the easiest way to utilize all the left over cake bits and frosting, in a quick and yummy ball of deliciousness. And they couldn't be any simpler to make. Even though I used leftovers, you could easily bake a cake for the sole purpose of cake balls..I also just happened to have a bunch of left over chocolates from Christmas time, but if this doesn't happen to be the case, you could always use almond bark, chocolate chips, mint-chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips...really, the possibilities are endless!

*WARNING: These balls are incredibly delicious and you can't have just one*


CAKE BALLS
Ingredients:
Leftover cake
Leftover frosting
Chocolates

Crumble cake and add to frosting in a large bowl.
Using your hands, a fork, or perhaps a potato masher, mix the cake and frosting.
Once your ingredients are mixed (cookie dough like consistency) roll into small balls.
Place on a wax paper covered cookie sheet.
Chill in refrigerator or freezer for at least 30 minutes- up to 2 hours.
After your cake balls have chilled, add your chocolates to a double boiler on the stovetop. Stirring until melted.

Double boiler just means bringing a small amount of water to a simmer and then placing a heat proof bowl over the simmering water to melt the chocolate that's resting within.

Once your chocolate is melted, using a skewer or a fork dip cake balls, covering completely and placing back on the waxed paper.
Let the chocolate set by chilling for at least another 30 minutes.
Enjoy.

Quick&Easy version
Ingredients:
1 Cake mix
1 tub of frosting
1 bag of chocolate chips, etc.

Procedure is the same as above.


Happy Baking!