Friday, June 18, 2010

Maple & Bacon Scones

When my boss decided to let us have this Friday off I wasn't excited that I was going to get to sleep in or watch the World Cup (ok, I was a little bit) but I was more excited about what I was going to make for breakfast! My thoughts immediately went to what I could whip up with an extra morning on my hands. Sad isn't it? Baking is literally always on mind.

Who doesn't love bacon? I most definitely do. If I could eat bacon as a part of every meal I probably would and I would probably be 300 pounds, but everything is OK in moderation right? right.
Everywhere I turn it seems bacon is being incorporated into some new baked good: brownies, blondies, cookies, cupcakes, but I have yet to see them it incorporated in an actually morning goodie. My first instinct was to make some type of muffin, but then I got to thinking about how the texture of a scone is a lot like a biscuit and biscuits go great with bacon and I love dipping my bacon in maple syrup so the obvious next step would be a Maple & Bacon Scone... oh, and it wouldn't be complete without a Maple Glaze and garnish of chopped bacon....

 Just a little insight to my ridiculous train of thought.



Maple & Bacon Scones
Oven: 350 Bake Time: 25-30 minutes
Makes 8 large scones or 16 petit scones

2 cups AP flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour (or just 3 cups AP)
1/4 cup brown sugar
5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup cold butter, shredded*
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/4 pure maple syrup
4-5 pieces bacon, cooked and chopped in small pieces
extra 1/4 cup flour for kneading

Using a cheese grater, shredded sticks of butter into a large bowl. Once butter is shredded place bowl in freezer to chill. (I learned this trick recently in Marcy Goldman's book: Passion for Baking)
In a food processor, combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
Add chilled butter and pulse until incorporated and sandy consistency is reached.
Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
Create a well in the center and add milk, egg and maple syrup. Using a wooden spoon, mix until combined.
Fold in chopped bacon.
Sprinkle about half of reserved flour over top of mixture.
Turn out dough on lightly floured surface.
Knead dough into a large circle, sprinkling with extra flour when necessary.
Cut circle into 8 large triangles.
Transfer to parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly browned.


Maple Glaze
2 TBS melted butter
2 TBS pure maple syrup
1/4 cup heavy cream
1-2 TBS powdered sugar

Mix all ingredients together until smooth. Cover and set aside.


While scones are baking, make Maple Glaze and set aside.
When ready, transfer scones to cooling rack.
Drizzle with glaze.
Garnish with extra bacon.

Happy Baking!!


 There may be a little maple syrup on my keyboard now, but I couldn't wait to get this out...
Mountain Man's two cents? "You done good babe, you done good"