Friday, December 17, 2010

Jeweled Lace Cookies


As I scoured my December/January issued magazines for Christmas treats, I came across an Everyday with Rachael Ray from a year or so ago with a spread of cookies that I just had to try.

Despite the fact my collection takes up a few rows on our bookshelf, I knew saving all those food magazines would come in handy one day!

This is just one of the few recipes I marked to try this year and I'll definitely be making them again.


These little lace cookies are ridiculously simple and get this.. they're only 35 calories a cookie!

Not that I'm counting calories or anything... believe you me, I do NOT count calories, especially during the holidays. I think I told you this before, but there are no such thing as calories during the months of November and December. It's a fact. I pinky promise.

I still have a few more cookies to share with you all and I'm hoping I can get them to you before the holidays are over.

Can you believe Christmas is next weekend?!

I haven't even finished  started my Christmas shopping yet! Can I hire one of you to do that for me?





Jeweled Lace Cookies
Oven: 325 Bake time: 10 minutes
Makes 3-4 dozen cookies

1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
4 TBS butter
1/2 cup rolled quick oats
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup shelled pistachios, de-shelled then chopped

Preheat to 325°. Line to cookie sheets with parchment paper and lightly grease top.  
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, stir together the brown sugar, corn syrup and butter until smooth and bubbling, about 4 minutes.
Remove from the heat.
 In a bowl, whisk together the oats, flour and salt; stir into the pot, then stir in the cranberries and pistachios.

Drop rounded teaspoons of the mixture about 3 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. 
Bake until bubbly and a shade darker, about 9 to 10 minutes.
Let cool for about 1 minute before quickly transferring each cookie to a rack using a thin metal spatula; let cool completely. 

*One teaspoon doesn't seem like a lot but they definitely spread out. 
By using the parchment paper instead of just greasing the pans (which you could also do) you eliminate the risk of having trouble getting your cookies off the sheet. Just transfer paper and cookies to a rack to finish the cooling and the cookies will come off with ease once they've hardened.





These cookies are paper thin, crunchy and highly addictive. They're a crispy caramel and the salty and sweet from the cranberries and pistachios are a lovely addition. When I brought these into the office for lunch the ladies and I  talked about other things you could add to the base to make them extra special. Any ideas?

Happy Baking!