Thursday, April 28, 2011

3-Minute Microwave Muffins


Yes, you read that correctly..

Muffins made in the microwave in THREE minutes!

Unbelievable right?

When Mountain Man walked into the kitchen and groggily asked me what the heck I was going to make in the 20 minutes I had before I had to leave for work, I smiled and proudly proclaimed "microwave muffins."

Little did he know, that I had no idea if they would actually be any good or if they would even work for that matter.

Much to my surprise though, they turned out to be pretty darn good! Especially having been made in the microwave of such places!

Since discovering these perfect breakfast treats for the on-the-go business woman (or man), I've experimented with different ingredients and fillings, but the base recipe has stayed the same. They can be whipped up in a matter of minutes, popped in the microwave and ready to eat in 3 minutes...not to mention, they sit nice and cozy in a mug so you don't have to worry about muffin crumbs or messy hands.

So the next time you start to pour yourself another bowl of your same old cereal, use that bowl to whip up some delectable little muffins for your way out the door!




Microwave Muffins
Fills 3 small mugs (easily doubled for more people)

1/2 cup plus 6 TBS white whole wheat flour or AP flour
2 1/2 TBS sugar
dash of salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg (or mix 1 TBS flax seed meal with 3 TBS water and use instead of an egg)
6 TBS vanilla yogurt
2 TBS milk (I used skim)
2 TBS vegetable oil
dash of vanilla
*1/2 cup of mix-ins: blueberries, dried cranberries, blackberries, chocolate chips, bananas, etc.
*Brown sugar for sprinkling

In a small bowl, mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
Add egg (or flax egg substitute), yogurt, milk, veggie oil and dash of vanilla and mix until combined.
If batter still seems a little thick, add a little more milk.
Fold in mix-ins of your choice.
Distribute batter evenly among mugs or small ramekins a little more than half way to the top.
*optional: sprinkle brown sugar over top before microwaving
Place in microwave on high for 3 minutes.


These are actually peanut butter and banana muffins: add a dollop of peanut butter, one chopped banana and a dash of cinnamon to your batter.

When I saw these little guys rise as much as they did, I was amazed. I wasn't around when Mountain Man got into his, but I did receive a lovely facebook shout out so I guess he liked em :)

Happy Baking!