Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Dump Truck Birthday Cake



Marriage counseling has run its course...can you believe it's already been 9 weeks? 


But what does marriage counseling have anything to do with a Dump Truck Birthday Cake you ask? 

Well... everything!

During our first weeks in class, Mountain Man (who I should basically hire for my marketing manager) shared that I like to make cakes in my spare time. One of the ladies facilitating the class got extremely excited about this and the next thing I knew I had two gigs in the making.

The first cake she requested was a simple floral cake for her mother's 80th birthday...


And then a couple weeks later she asked for a dump truck inspired cake for her grandson's 2nd birthday. 

My mind immediately went to a 3D cake.

This was my third attempt at a sculpted cake and it was definitely a learning experience. 

I wish I could have taken a few more pictures of the process for you, but I get in a zone when I'm decorating and stopping to take pictures just wouldn't be possible. 

I started with two 9x13-inch sheet cakes made of my Chocolate Layer Cake that I cut into two 3x10-inch cakes. I sculpted the left overs to form the cab of the truck and the back of the truck as well (which I didn't get pictured)


I then covered the cake in a thin layer of buttercream.


Then came the hours of fondant work... there were definitely a few hiccups in this process so it might be better that there are no pictures involved. Regardless, I got the cake done and couldn't have been more pleased with how it turned out...and the customer was pretty darn happy too!





If anyone out there is thinking about making a 3D truck I have a ton of tips that I'd love to share, so feel free to shoot me an email any time! This cake was a lot of fun.. I love being a part of special celebrations!


Happy Baking!